Thursday, September 2, 2010

New City- New Senses

Well I arrived in San Francisco a few days ago and it has already been quite an interesting experience. I have started my online class today and my first on-campus class starts tomorrow. I am very happy to get this going and meet some new people.

So far this city smells.... This morning, blueberry muffins were floating up and into my window. Yesterday, I smelled pizza... the best pizza smell I have ever experienced.  Earlier yesterday, it was breakfast sandwiches and the day before it was some kind of Chinese food. I may get fat here because I am constantly hungry!

The people-watching in SF is absolutely amazing. The fantastic mix of people makes for some really hilarious encounters. Just the other day, I was walking down the street and a man was walking in front of me, carrying some kind of telescoping metal pole (kind of like a shower curtain rod). I saw him stop, hold the pole out horizontally, say "I'm a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle!" He then pulled the two pieces of the pole apart like he had just taken a sword out of it's case. When he made this move, I happened to be walking past him and he got about 3 inches away from hitting me with it. He then said, "I'm sorry, Gorgeous! Are you okay?!" I assured him that I was fine. He then proceeded to try to pay me a dollar because he said he almost sliced my face. Lol People may be weird here, but they are very nice :)

Yesterday, a kind of shabby-looking man tried to get me to be his new roommate after I gave him my leftover Thai food.Speaking of Thai food, I had some really great fried flat noodles (not sure what exactly is was and where exactly I had it) with basil, chicken, and mushrooms. It was down by Union Square.

Last night, dinner was from this tiny little Italian restaurant that sells pizza mostly (all thanks to that pizza smell wafting through my room and watching that old Julia Robert's movie, Mystic Pizza). When I called my order in, a very Italian-sounding man took my order. The pizza was very good and today is my lunch.

So that is the update on me so far. Time for me to get going on some school work. Photos will be added periodically for your viewing pleasure :)

Emma

P.S. I miss you NC people more than you know!

2 comments:

  1. Its nice to see San Fransisco through your eyes...if not the eyes of a sidewalk grate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. We NC people miss you too.

    ReplyDelete